Monday, March 9, 2009

internet art: chapter 3

Heritage Gold (1998) was an interesting concept. The creator, Mongrel, a gallery of different faces all different ethnicities. The different ethnicities were supposed to represent the complexities of life. It seems that the different faces are manifestations of how different lives can be. In 2000 art major art museums finally started commissioning internet art for their galleries. I think that this was due to all the publicity that eToy and other controversial sites were getting. the internet was becoming more known and available. At this time it also seemed that information and art were beginning to be juxtaposed on websites. I don't completely understand what the website 0100101110101101.ORG's complete objective was, but it mainly seemed to focus on "privacy is obsolete". That the internet shouldn't be so exclusive with passwords and private accounts, but it should be a source of infinite information for anyone. I like the analogy that Anne-Marie Schleiner makes with art as 'culture hacking'. Art does give insight into the context of culture as well as the individual in their art. I also thought that the Trigger Happy internet game was an interesting idea. It challenged the viewer to choose between reading the paragraph on the screen or making points for the game. This chapter displayed the advances in the internet, as well as the challenges companies faced trying to keep in business or make controversial statements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment